Why Natural Stone Plays a Big Role in Construction
Natural stone plays a big role in construction due to LEED construction standards. It has always been important to take care of our environment. Recently LEED construction standards, have reinforced it. Energy efficient processes and availability of more eco-friendly material options are a most. Natural stone inherent characteristics, make it a green building product; it is naturally beautiful, low-maintenance, and durable construction material. It is worth considering how these and other properties of stone can contribute to sustainable design projects and green building certifications.
Increased use of natural resources: More and more designs will feature stone as a primary component. Already a popular option in many areas of the industry, stone will play an increasing role in construction due to its widespread availability, comparatively low cost, and reduced environmental impact. Construction Digital – Top Green Building Trends 2013
LEED-NC, for New Construction projects, is the most widely used green building rating system.
LEED-NC emphasizes six categories for environmental
1. Sustainable Sites (SS)
2. Water Efficiency (WE)
3. Energy and Atmosphere (EA)
4. Materials and Resources (MR)
5. Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ)
6. Innovation and Design. (ID)
Natural stone products, such as those made from marble and limestone, among others, can contribute to points in several of these categories. e.g
– Optimize Energy Performance: Natural stone has good thermal mass (the ability of a material to store heat and slowly release it), which positively impacts indoor ambient air temperature, and thus, energy efficiency.
– Due to the durability of stone, there are several credits in the Major Rrenovations [MR] category.
– Building Reuse, Maintain 75-95% of Existing Walls, Floors These MR Credits apply if the life-cycle of existing building stock can be maintained in a project.
Natural stone is definitively a key component in the interior/landscape design and development of eco-efficient and healthier buildings.
Invalid Displayed Gallery
About Amando Natural Stone
Questions & Orders: